Name of the Society
1. The name of the Society shall be The Hurst Village Society.
Objects and Aims
2. The object of the Society shall be to preserve and enhance the character of the village of Hurst as a living community.
Among the Aims shall be:
i. to protect the physical character and rural environment
ii. to provide an independent focal point for the community
iii. to encourage involvement in village activities
iv. to promote the use of the amenities of the village
v. to encourage a spirit of neighbourliness
vi. to foster communication between members of the community
3. Membership shall be open to all persons who wish to protect the rural character of villages along the River Loddon. Hurst Village Society will not discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, sexuality, disability, religious or political belief, marital status or age.
Committee and Officers
4. The affairs of the Society in all matters not in these Rules reserved for the Society in General Meeting shall be managed by the General Committee of the Society.
i. The General committee shall consist of FIFTEEN members in good standing who shall elect their own officers, namely Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Secretary and Social Secretary for the ensuing year.
ii There shall be a quorum when 50% of the members of the committee, or four members of the committee, whichever is greater, are present at the meeting. In the case of equality of votes, the chair of the meeting shall have a casting vote in addition to his / her own vote.
iii. The General Committee may invite past officers of the Committee and such other members who have served on the Committee as are deemed fit up to a maximum number of FIVE to become Honorary Committee Members. Honorary Committee Members shall be entitled to attend and speak at Meetings of the General Committee but shall not be entitled to vote at such Meetings.
6. The General Committee may appoint one or more sub-committees for such purposes as it may deem appropriate.
i. The Financial Year of the Society shall be from 1st January to 31st December.
ii. The annual subscription shall be determined by the Annual General Meeting to come into effect the following year. Subscriptions shall be valid for the current Financial Year, and be renewable on 1st January.
iii. Individuals in the same household shall each have the same rights and privileges of membership.
8. The Treasurer shall keep such proper books of account as shall enable him to present at every Annual General Meeting or at any other time on reasonable notice to him by the General Committee an accurate report of the finances of the Society.
9. A General Meeting of the Society shall be summoned by the General Committee.
10 An Annual General Meeting shall be held at intervals of not more than fifteen months from the preceding Annual General Meeting.
11. At any General Meeting of the society every member of the Society shall be entitled to be present and shall be entitled to vote upon every question asked. In the case of equality of voting the chairman of the Meeting shall have a second or casting vote.
Alteration of the Rules
12. These rules may be revoked, added to or altered by a majority comprising two-thirds or more of the members present and entitled to vote at any General Meeting of the Society of which notice has been given specifying the intention to propose the revocation, addition or alteration together with full particulars thereof.
13. If the Committee considers that it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Society, an extraordinary meeting shall be called to allow members to make a collective decision. If the Society is dissolved, the Committee shall be responsible for the settling of all debts and commitments, insofar as funds allow, before presenting the remaining funds to a similar local organisation to be agreed by members of the Hurst Village Society.